26.8.09

Ethnographic drawings #3

click to enlarge

Drawing as a technique for observation and documentation was always important in various fields of science. My small sketches (also take a look here and there) at the Ethnological Museum are on one side connected with the tradition of ethnographic drawing, but on the other I'm trying to go beyond the documentary aspect. For me these figures are particularly fascinating in their function as „characters“. Usually I like it to draw the wooden sculptures in a way that they seem to be alive, think that‘s the same magical thrill that puppet masters try to get...

Here are three new pieces from the African- and the South-Sea-Collection. Sometimes these figures make me really laugh, especially this naked german (?) sea captain from the early 20th century.

Dieter

No comments:

Post a Comment